Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Exchanging Lives..Averaging out

I used to watch an ad that kind of starts with a kid wanting to have a bike..the bike guy wanting to have a car..the car guy wanting to have a girl..the man with a girl wanting to get richer..and the circle completes with the rich guy wanting to have flowing hair like the kid .

Quite a nice ad .

Infact this ad is the perfect starting piece of this post.

The issue I want to talk about is about the fact that how we always get to thinking "I wish I was as lucky as the other bastard". Even I used to have these thoughts especially in school.
We never had had a palatial house. It was just a simple 2 BHK house..basic.
And whenever I used to visit my freinds I used to look at their "separate" rooms ..decorated with pop icons ..I used to envy that kind of "rich". I still remember seeing a cycle in someones own separate room and thinking .."wow..thats so american"....! I remember the happiness of hearing the "spirit of rangeela" on a Philips "Micro monster"(I think that was a midi music system ...but compared to the miserable 2 in one we had at home ..it was nothing short of a bose). I remember idolising that crumpled jeans look with those "expensive" sneakers ...It was the height of fashion.
But somewhere after my 12th ..and especially after passing out of NEC my thoughts changed. And that change made me look at things in what I think is a better perspective.
My thought was this..

If I envy someones life..I have to import his entire life. Not a piecemeal barter. For example if I liked someones bike..I have to import not only his bike but his entire life..and THEN ask if its worth the barter.
So I tried thinking on those lines . Next time I looked at some ones expensive car ..then asked for the barter ..I realised that the overall package I had was the best one could ever have.Somehow that thought made me feel at peace.

The moot point is that everyones life in a way averages out. If you have a great house..maybe your wife is crazy..If your wife is great,maybe its your son who is trying to murder you...etc etc.
You will not have everything..thats the bad news. Everyone is in the same shit as you are..thats the good news..

Enjoy while it lasts..life is too short!
;)

No comments: