Friday, November 20, 2009

Shopping For someone

Have you ever been asked something like " err..yaar I want to buy a laptop..can u just guide me..?" and then you tag along with the guy to help him select his object?
Well I have been asked quite a lot of times ..esp for things like music systems and Computers ..Even for USB flash drives. Its ok and I enjoy it. I like going to an electronic showroom...no lets rephrase that " I love being in an Electronics showroom" ...and my pleasure is doubled when the sales guy is a guy who is also interseted in Electronics. (actually I only buy from technical shops where I and the salesman can talk out the details..and he actually takes pain to explain me the details of whys and why nots )

So this one time I went "lappy shopping" with a junior of mine. He wanted a Laptop as he wanted to have a net connection(I was taken aback that he had survived without one till now..anyway). And his budget..was lets say 30 K.
So on the way I tell him all the funda of the fact that its the RAM and bus speed that counts otherwise any 64 bit processor is cool enough..plus the fact that if there is a trade off between RAM and HDD capacity ,go for RAM...
ETc ETC

So now we start the survey. This is where it gets interseting. While I am going thru the data sheet of various computers he is busy asking the dealer as to freebies with each laptop..! He wants a laptop bag instead of a shoulder sling..etc etc.
Then I ask him if he is interested in the datasheet of comparision of models?

He replies back.".sir koi farak nahin padta ! Koi bhi chalega as long as I can "do" net!!..bas bag acchi milni chahiye"

I look back at him in a Zen like trance? What the fuck!! Processor , HDD, RAM and Bus speed se farak nahin padta par bag ke type se padta hai? And buddy a Laptop bag(the best of It..costs max 1500 and here you are buying a machine worth 20 times ..

Thats what I think...and I feel kind of let down also that I studied so much for this guy..Anyway with such situations I have this tendancy to suddenly detach and smile. Smile because the situation itself is funny ...Its funny when somone is so superficial. But then what can make such a situation tragic is your attempt to "educate". I never never never try to "educate" without invitation...My expierance says that its trouble.

So I smile and say.."Definitely ,nice choice ..a back pack bag is an intelligent choice..that looks better plus you really dont need that much investment on RAM or HDD..after all you are not going to do cluster processing"....!


No comments: